Saturday, January 3, 2009

HOW TO SPOT FAKE UGGS: BEWARE of Fake UGG Classic Crochet Cardy boots on ecrater.com

HOW TO SPOT FAKE UGGS: I recently ordered the UGG Classic Crochet Cardy boot from the seller "Pandapaw" on www.ecrater.com. I looked everywhere for this boot in a size 7 and grey, as the size 6 I have from Zappos are a little too small and they are sold out everywhere. I felt so lucky when I finally found a 7 on ecrater.com.

After receiving the order today (very fast shipping considering it came from China) I compared the new size 7 with the size 6 I still have. The moment I opened the box I became concerned that they were fake. 

Here is what I found that made me believe the Cardy boots are not authentic and how to spot fake UGGS Classic Crochet Cardy from "Pandapaw" and ecrater.com:
  • Smell - as soon as I opened the box a strong chemical smell came from the box, assuming this is from some kind of dye?
  • Color - most notably, the suede on the back of the boot is much darker on the fake. Also, the Ugg Tag on the back of the boot is much lighter than on the real, the contrast between the suede and the tag are totally different. 
  • Fabric - the feel of the yarn is more rough, the stitches are further apart and the color is more pinky grey with white specs in the yarn. The original has minimal variance in the shade of the yarn. 
  • Stitching - button hole stitching varies in color from one side of the boot to the other, is different color and is poorly constructed with fabric backing sticking out through the holes. 
  • Design - the pattern on the tag is visually different.
  • Sheepskin lining - is white and thin instead of cream and thick.
Please do not make the same mistake I did! 

1 comment:

Keir said...

Thanks - I've been looking at pandapaw's e-crater shop but was sceptical as I don't see why they would be selling so many identical pairs of uggs at such a discount. But all their reviews were good, if it wasn't for your blog I might have made a mistake there!

I'm now off to order them from the real Uggs website!